Monday, August 2, 2010

Ol' far away from home week...

This has been  a few days of "catching up" with some ol' friends from far away, a long time ago and not so far away...but too far.. .
Stein, way good to hear from you and I'm sorry we had to cut our conversation short because your water for boiling crabs had reached critical mass. Sorry not for cutting the call short but because I couldn't be there to claim cripple and have someone crack crab for me.
Ever see the movie, "Bucket List"?
I love both Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson.
Anywho, I've started both a 'Bucket List' and a 'Deja Vu Bucket List, i.e. things that I've done before but would like to do again before I hop the twig.'
On the Deja Vu list is having Abalone. I haven't had Abalone for, let's see...2010 - 1973 = 37, 37 years, yet it is my all time favorite food beating out Yorkshire Pudding, perfectly grilled boneless Rib Steaks and fried Oysters.
When I was living in Washington I would sneak over or down to Trader Vic's an indulge in Abalone.
I even got on th internet and Googled around only to find that the nearest Trader Vic's is like in Hong Kong now...But there is a Restaurant in Colorado Springs that serves Abalone and when I get outa here and am well enough to travel I'm gonna head down there. Yeah, I know it's not on the coast but it bears the hell out of having to hitch hike to Hong Kong.
Richard, evn though you are "across the pond" the book which embodies "coffee table book" to the extreme I see virtually every day because I do have it out on the table. I'm gonna have to search the bowels of my computer to find that piece that Japke wrote for and about Reme.'..that can be something I can do here because I know I saved it but that was like 3 computers ago and I've kept all the files over the years just like I've always kept my maiden name.
And Mary, you insane goofball. Oh how I've missed your free spirit, your intense need to have fun and enjoy life...not to mention riding motorcycles together. Twas more than way good and way cool to reconnect on Skype.
Stephanie, Frank, Jim and I'm forgetting but not slighting others, I feel soooooo blessed to have enjoyed your presence in my life and I feel equally blessed and humbled that you stay in touch...yous just didn't make the "past few days" cut.


I thought I'd have a zillion & 3 things to put on my Bucket List and my Deja Vu Bucket list but both of them, to this point are short.
I don't know whether that's because I've lead a rather mundane life and have no dreams or that because the things past, present and future that are truly important to me x 12 are scarce and valuable and that's not all bad. I mean if there were a thousand Hope Diamonds then the Hope Diamond would have no luster (Sorry...bad pun. It's a birth defect.).
I didn't see that movie until after I had been diagnosed and a really good friend of mine, that would be you Michelle, brought it over and at first I was p***ed when I started watching it because it was about two guys dying in a cancer ward!
"How in the h*** could she think tht I would want to watch this!"
But as the movie unfolded it  became apparent and shortly after it was over it became clear.
So thanks, Michelle.
Really.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment