Saturday, June 5, 2010

Cancer, Dancer, Prancer and Schmancer...

Hi there,
    If''n it appears that I've been MIA for a week or so that's because I was...
   'Bout 2-3 weeks ago I developed a sorta nagging little cough that wouldn't go away and this Sunday last I came into the office and after about 43.265083471 seconds Cindy and Eric (splendid fellow RE/MAX Advanceders) appeared in my office and discussed some possibilities with me...

  • I go to the Emergency room
  • I go to Urgent Care
  • They shoot horses, don't they?
     Wellst, I'm learning that I need to set my pride aside and listen to learned loved ones and so we threw out going to the ER because they might admit me and they shoot horses because there aren't any guns here (I'm writing from the office.).
     So, oft we went to Urgent Care with Eric and Cindy figuring out the car logistics, i.e. 3 cars, 2 drivers.
     Upon arriving, we didn't have to wait too long for me to get seen and Eric had to leave for a family function...good on you Eric!
     And thanks to Cindy for hangin' in there with me!
     So, over the course of the next coupla hours I had a nasty little flu (Although for purposes of this test "flue" might be more appropriate.) test whereas this nurse had me close my eyes (Yeah, right...I peeked.) and with gentle brutal strength stuck this 18 1/2" Q-Tip made out of teakwood 16 1/2" up my right nostril, put an IV in my right arm (...which they only used twice, once to draw enough blood for lab work and then to hydrate me...), had innumerable people take my vitals, and took x-rays.
    The verdict came back that I had a "wee spot of pneumonia" and that given the fact I was a Myeloma patient and had been taking chemo therefore having a suppressed immune system they decided that I needed to go to the hospital...so much for my theory that if I go to Urgent Care rather than the hospital that I'll just get checked out and sent home with and industrial strength bottle of Robittusin!.
     Those folks dressed in scrubs could not, would not hear of letting Cindy drive me to the hospital and so afore I knew it I was being transferred to an ambulance gurney and off for a less than thrilling speed limit drive to Poudre Valley Hospital.
     I think that they wouldn't let Cindy drive as punishment for her sleuthing and finding the snack closet and feeding us dinner of Goldfish, Peanut Butter Crackers, Animal Crackers and our personal favorite, bread-sticks about the size of 7 penny nails and having about the same consistency and dipped in cheese (which never saw a cow).
     So, that was Sunday PM and I got to spend until Wednesday afternoon languishing in the comfort (except for the bed) of the hospital.
     There were two different "lights" (One high and one somewhere around low...) of my stay.
     My friends who gather with me on Monday nights in Severance to learn and laugh about that book and other assorted material which are Spiritual staples to that Fellowship that has something to do with not drinking (If'n you want to get a hold of someone from that Fellowship you can find their phone number right smack dab the front of the phone book.), brought me in  a brick sized chunk of "Better'n Sex Cake and a marvelous home made chocolate milkshake.
     That was the highlight.
     The lowlight was on Tuesday when I'd been waiting for an Electro-cardiogram that they were going to give me. Well, I've had a number of those recently (i.e. an ultrasound of the heart), although this was the 1st one that they asked me to abstain from food and drink for 6 hours prior. I've learned that different Practitioners have different methods on the same test, so I wasn't concerned.
     Anywho, 'bout 5:00pm, some 2 hours tardy they came and got me. I tell you true, getting wheeled around the bowels of PVH is quite a trip...I have no idea how the staff navigate sit because it's just plain confusing. I did notice that we passed the room where I'd had previous echo-cardiogram and other ultrasounds but kept my mouth shut...until I got wheeled into this cold room (I've always wondered, but never asked why they keep certain areas of the hospital, especially operating rooms really cold.)...
     Being no stranger to surgery, I knew I was in an Operating Room.
     I began to question the nurse who was messing with my IV what was going on because I thought this was going to be an Electro-cardiogram complete with KY Jelly on my chest. She, very kindly explained to me that yes indeed I was going to have an Electro-cardiogram, but of the TEE (Transesophageal echocardiogram) variety whereas a scoop is introduced to ones chest cavity via "Over the mouth, over the gums, down the throat and here it comes!
     Well, this was a little bid of a surprise but they assured me that I wouldn't' feel a thing and that I'd still be able to walk after the "procedure."
     Next thing I knew I was back in my uncomfortable hospital bed with not even a bit of sore throat or any kind of irritation at all.
     I was unceremoniously released the next day, Wednesday and was able to thenst go Thursday down to the University of Colorado Hospital, which houses, or is melded with the Anschutz Cancer Pavilion, or whatever it's called, for a visit and exam by a new Urologist and my main Cancer Dr., the one who is "in charge" of my transplant.
     Wellst, lest yous get bored with my "blog-rant" today I shall hold off until tomorrow 'splainin' what happened as the result of that trip!


     If anyone could help me remember why I titled this blog, ""Cancer, Dancer, Prancer and Schmancer..." I'd appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment